Careers that Change Lives
A Day in the Life
The IT Director Manufacturing Operations is responsible for overall Medtronic IT Operations in Puerto Rico, supporting 4 critical manufacturing facilities across the Island. This role will be accountable for the integrated vision, roadmap and strategy, execution, and continuous improvement in delivering IT solutions and services used in Manufacturing, Quality, Procurement, and Supply Chain activities across Puerto Rico Manufacturing sites but not limited to. In addition, the role will act as the primary interface to the Global IT Manufacturing organization in which he/she contribute to vision, strategy and directions for the global organization. The role also manages the key IT leads of the assigned teams and is ultimately accountable for the execution and delivery of those teams at respective manufacturing sites.
This role acts as the main interface and the primary point of contact for Medtronic Puerto Rico Business Operations within IT. This is a key role in term of Leadership, Strategy and Operations and has direct responsibility for all IT (including IT quality) with a direct impact on productivity, compliance and quality of our products produced and shipped timely and with the highest quality from Puerto Rico.
This role requires to anticipate on industrial evolutions and needs, and leverage IT Technologies (Big Data Analytics, Cloud, IIoT, mobile,..) and capabilities to Plan, Design, Build, Deploy, Support all applications and technology services that will support business to achieve objectives and will contribute to deploy state of the art Modern Manufacturing Systems.
Therefore this person is responsible for implementing the full IT strategy (People-organization, Operational Excellence, Business Programs, Innovation) and implementing and aligning the necessary IT Governance across Architecture, Information Security, Audit, Quality and Internal Controls and of course IT financial budgets for Medtronic Puerto Rico Operations.
This role will be actively involved in global initiatives related to new product introduction, production lines transfers to assure all aspects of IT are covered and implemented smoothly.
Reporting in solid line to the Global Head of Manufacturing Information Technology and dotted line to the VP Medtronic Puerto Rico Operations Center.
A Day in the Life
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
* In partnership with business leaders, define, regularly adapt and communicate the long-term IT vision and strategy in alignment with business strategy and priorities.
* Ensure buy-in by all plant network (business group central + plants) with a commitment on execution.
* Propose innovative and cost-efficient IT Solutions to maximize business value and create competitive advantage
* Elaborate the IT project portfolio and manage the demand with business value realisation as main target.
* Define the appropriate external partnerships.
* Participate as a member of the global senior manufacturing IT management team to establish the global IT governance alignment.
* Establish and execute all actions to ensure compliance to all internal policies and external regulations applicable to IT, including IT security policies, as well as medical FDA regulations and SOX requirements.
Business Relationship Management
* Establish business relationship with leaders and key users in assigned responsible areas to have a thorough understanding of the business organization dynamics, strategy, priorities and key performance indicators (KPIs)
* Advise business leaders and stakeholders to shape the use of technology to achieve business goals and objectives.
* Partner with global capability owners to develop the 2-5 year strategic technology and business roadmaps for the assigned areas
* Ability to identify highest value initiatives that can be enabled by IT services and/or identify IT service gaps that are required to deliver the business needs for needle-moving results
* Provide overall visibility to the business leaders on the status of pipeline from ideation to governance approval and work with them to develop business cases for initiatives presented to Capability Owners Council for approval.
Initiative / Project Implementation Oversight
* Provide the oversight of all initiatives for the assigned areas of responsibilities and sit on the initiative steering committee to ensure the progress, risk identification and business value delivery throughout the implementation and post-implementation value realization.
* Articulate, document and track the business values of IT deliverables based on the roadmap defined
* Oversee and be accountable for the deliverables of the delivery & technical organizations
Service Performance Monitoring and Reporting
* Provide regular IT service performance update to business leadership team to align understanding of issues and constraints
* Proactively and timely communicate major service interruption with targeted audience based on the business impact areas
* Work with IT Owners to document and implement mitigation plans while keeping the business leaders informed on progress till completion
Internal IT collaboration
* Collaborate with the various IT organizations in Medtronic which are critical to the effective use and deployment of technology. These organizations include PMO, SAP Center of Excellence, Shared Service IT, Infrastructure IT, International Sites, and others as appropriate.
Must Have: Minimum Requirements
Educational: Information Technology, related Engineering, Computer Science or related field
Director Level: 12+ Years with Bachelors or 8+ Years with Masters. 7+ years of progressive leadership experience in functional area or related field
* Exposure to information technology and manufacturing environment
* Talent Management & Development
* Interpersonal Relations
* Quality and Results Oriented
* Computer Literate
* Fluency speaking and writing in English and Spanish
* Experience in medical device, pharmaceutical, or electronic industry
* Bachelors in Computer Science, Industrial Engineering, or related field. MBA a plus.
* Professional Certifications a plus (PMI, ITIL, Agile, Lean Six Sigma etc?)
* Direct working experience with SAP Solutions
* Experience: Minimum 12 years of IT and business work experience with broad exposure to various technical environments and business segments. Minimum 3 years of experience in strategic planning, business development or client management, working with a broad range of diverse and complicated business units.
* Most of that time should be in an IT supporting role within manufacturing and or an operations function. You have led cross functional teams successfully for at least 6 plus years within a large multinational.
* Demonstrated leadership and success in communicating with key stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
* Demonstrated skills in servant leadership in eliminating obstacles and allowing the team to do their best work.
* Demonstrated ability to balance competing requirements and interests, keep team focused on top priorities, and find ways to achieve win-win or obtain acceptance/consensus for best compromise
* Understand a broad range of technologies, including ERP, business intelligence, IIoT, cloud computing, SCADA, MES and a broad technical depth across Information and Operations Technology (IT/OT).
* Experienced managing IT in a complex manufacturing environment: many businesses, large use base, multiple distributed plants, regulation constraints.
* At least 2-3 years of experience as head of IT for Manufacturing Operations (including industrial automation) in another company with complex plant network.
The knowledge of manufacturing, quality and Supply Chain processes and related IT solutions are mandatory.
Very strong team leadership:
Capability to lead in a matrix mode and to cooperate transversally. Excellent team leadership skills in order to motivate them and achieve results.
The position is an operational one: necessity to manage with an appropriate level of deepness is required
This leader also must develop a high performing team with clear succession plan and strong development of key resources. This leader is a master in people performance management.
Think Strategically and Globally:
It will be key to understand strategic stakes and business objectives in order to develop a global aligned IT manufacturing strategy that is scalable and re-usable. (Think global, act local). IT manufacturing strategy is very much structuring for effective and efficient operations and it's key to drive and engage all operations management teams in a good way for the future. Have point of view on industry 4.0 and how to get there.
Strive for results and commit to business customers:
To deliver high quality products, on time with an optimistic cost is the daily target of operations teams. In an industrial context of manufacturing excellence, it's expecting the same commitment of IT.
This manufacturing excellence requires:
* a strong focus on the projects execution and delivery in general
* a strong follow up on run the business (Stability)
At the level of integration between IT tools, OT automation and manufacturing tools the level of expectations regarding operational excellence is very high due to the fact that Operations KPI(s) (productivity, yield, quality, throughput, etc.) are strongly dependent.
Clear communication, Sense of conviction, Capacity to motivate others by communicating with enthusiasm in order to influence and convince.
Candidates will be fully fluent in Spanish and English
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let's work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients' lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
Capacity to calculate, classify, compare, coordinate, copy, edit, evaluate, interview, instruct, read, observe, organize, plan, compile, select, request and document.
Light work requiring physical effort, in addition, requires communication skills, capability to move from one place to another, visual discrimination and tolerance to the use of personal protection equipment.
Work is performed in building's interior with normal temperature, good illumination, air condition, clean environment and minimum risk
It is the policy of Medtronic to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Medtronic will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: